The following are guidelines on how to use the Mathematics Support Centre (MSC).
- Drop in! You do not have to make an appointment with us as the MSC works on a drop-in basis
- Come early, use often! If you are having difficulties with maths, come along as early in the year as you can and visit us as frequently as you like!
- Bear in mind that we are an additional service to lectures and tutorials. Do not try to use the MSC as a substitute for these! MSC is a free service for UCD students
Important: Tutors in the MSC should not do problems for students. You will be expected to engage with the material either in the centre or elsewhere. We can provide loads of help as you need it but you will ultimately do the work!
If you have a particular maths problem:
- Try to prepare for your visit as much as possible by reading your lecture notes
- Bring along your attempts at the problem
- Bring along your lecture notes or at least know where they are if they are published on the web
If you have a more general problem with some area of maths
- Bear in mind that you may need to vist the Centre on a regular basis
- If you have difficulty with lecture notes, read them up as far as you understand them before you visit the centre.
- Again bring along your lecture notes or at least know where they are if they are published on the web
If you have no particular problem with maths and you just want a place to work on your maths, then the MSC is for you as well! Many students find the MSC to be a great place to study your maths notes,sample problem sheets etc. and having a tutor on hand if you want to check your work is a bonus!